[thechat] Audio Ripping from LPs Question

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Sat Nov 9 13:12:04 CST 2002

Okay, all of the previous answers make sense to me, if you have, say, all of
the (decent, if not high-end) equipment and (not extensive but significant)
knowledge you need. And a spare weekend to spend poking at things and
getting frustrated.

Another option: support your local recording studio. I can almost guarantee
you there is one, if you live in or near a town with a population of 50k or
more. They probably have:
1) A decent or better turntable.
2) Some form of digital recording equipment.
3) A mixing board.
4) Extensive knowledge about how to do this stuff.
5) The obsessive nature required to get truly excellent fidelity.

I found 21 listings in the phone book under "Recording Service - Sound &
Video" (Eugene, OR, pop. 140,000). Many, if not most, small studios,
recording engineers, etc. are already offering this service.

I saw someone locally advertising LP -> CD cleanup, balancing and recording
for something like $4 per disc. Don't know if this was just a special or
what, but it's well worth it to me, especially since 90% of my vinyl is in
okay-but-not-great shape and 20+ years out of print.

So, my suggestion is, spend 2 hours making some phone calls, finding a deal,
playing them off each other, and carting your crate of vinyl over to the
best option; pick it up a week or so later, pay 'em a few bucks, make a new
friend, and come home to enjoy the convenience of your new batch of good ol'
music.

And, of course, once you have CDs, making mixes is easy.

--

David Wagner
dave at worlddomination.net