[thechat] Atkins diet - news out today

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 08:49:01 CST 2002

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, deke  wrote:

> On 19 Nov 2002 at 12:06, Martin Burns posted a message which said:
> > Interestingly, the feeling of the drug companies is that cholesterol
> > levels (not sure which type of cholesterol but presumably LDL) aren't
> > really significantly impacted by diet.
>
> And also that weight levels aren't really significantly impacted by
> diet.
>
> All of the research confirms it. You might gain or lose as much as 10%
> of your body weight through diet. No more. And it's not going to be
> permanent. Even if you call it a "change in lifestyle".

True, but a change in lifestyle might be removing the factors which caused
a 10% gain over 'true' weight. So instead of having a longterm 'temporary'
weight gain which *appears* permanent, you have a permanent net loss over
that position.

And from where I am, 10% down sounds pretty useful to me...

Cheers
Martin