[thechat] The Sociology of Fanaticism

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Wed Nov 20 14:47:01 CST 2002

> Is some degree of 'obsession' or 'fanaticism' _required_
> to achieve excellence?
>
> * A rock star practicing guitar?
> * An Olympic gold medalist in figure skating?
> * A web designer testing ...?

I thought of this tangent as well. Take someone like Scotty Bowman
(retired NHL coach, arguably the best ever, nine championships, etc
etc). How can you dedicate your life (he retired in his 60's) to
something and not be a fan of it? Other figures that come to mind: John
Wooden (basketball coach), Lance Armstrong (in his biography he talks
about an epiphany he had after his bout with cancer), Jerry Rice, Mark
Cuban (NBA team owner)...

Interesting topic (is the presentation something we can see?)

Dex