[thechat] The Sociology of Fanaticism

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Wed Nov 20 15:13:00 CST 2002

Ken Kogler wrote:

> The common link that I see, however, is that deadheads basically
> abandonded whatever life they were living before discovering the band to
> follow a musical group around the country.

That assumes that their life "before" was substantially different
than life "after", other than involving more locations :-)

Not established by the evidence, I think...

And FWIW, lots of people would characterize themselves as 'Deadheads'
who made a point to hear the band play whenever reasonably possible,
but didn't traipse around the country... The Tied House in Mountain
View would be full of 'Deadheads' before Shoreline concerts, and a
*lot* of them were from Sun, SGI, Stanford, etc.

Illustrating degrees of fanaticism, maybe. :-)

Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.