[thechat] Learn from my mistakes

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
Thu Nov 21 12:20:00 CST 2002

Today, the cows mooved Luther, Ron to write:

> [as in a paraphrase of Darwin's 'seeing further from standing
> on the shoulders of giants'.]

Newton's -- "If I have seen further than those who came before, it is
because I have stood on the shoulders of giants."  (as this is composed
from my cheesecloth memory, may be slightly off...) Possibly derived from
Robert Burton, who got it from an old Latin philosopher:
http://www.bartleby.com/100/151.5.html

although of questionable accuracy, these are amusing:
http://xp.c2.com/TheThreeExtremos.html
http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/jhartman/QotW/2002-08-12-Newton.html

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski \\ dangercat-20 at dangercat.net
cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders  \\  www.dangercat.net/?id=mt

We have enough youth.  How about a fountain of smart?