[thechat] Who will be the next James Bond

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Nov 23 14:45:00 CST 2002

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, Madhu Menon wrote:

> At 09:54 PM 23-11-02, William Anderson wrote:
> >Out of all of them, I'd say Clive Owen - and definitely not Robbie Williams
> >... how the hell am I supposed to relate to a Bond who's being played by
> >someone only a month and a half older than me ...
>
> Yeah, Clive was my pick too.

Too old. Clive could have done it 10 years ago, but not now. You can't
start being Bond in your 40s.

> And Rupert Everett? An openly gay Bond? Ahem.

Ah, but (a) Rupert can do menace extremely well (b) each actor makes
Bond his own somewhat (compare Connery (Sex-god), Lazenby (the straight
man) and Moore (go for the laughs)) and (c) who would have imagined a
female M in the 70s..?

While Bond can't (imo) be gay, I think there shouldn't be a problem with a
gay actor playing him, as long as he does it right.

Robbie Williams would be in a good tradition of cameo Bond baddies,
though. He has the tattoos for it... disfigurement at some level is also a
Bond baddie tradition (Scaramanga, Jaws, Goldie (forgot the char name,
sorry), Blofeld).

Cheers
Martin