[thechat] Who will be the next James Bond

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Nov 26 04:31:01 CST 2002

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Chris Marsh wrote:

> [..]
> > convincing "straight" roles. If, however, he makes Bond, the
> > press will probably talk a lot about his being gay (so the 5
> > people who don't know it yet will), and somehow it's hard to
>
> Wow! Make that four people now. I had no idea that RE was gay. Does this
> make me hopelessly out of touch?

*grin* who knows..?

One of his best roles (which is also a prime gay role) was in Another
Country, set in an English public school in the 1930s, where homosexuality
was a well known but repressed secret (many junior boys took part,
but anyone caught was expelled). Everett played a senior (genuinely rather
than by convenience) gay pupil who refused to toe the line in both stage
and screen versions.

In the stage version, the other main role of the School Communist (this
being the 1930s, just prior to the Spanish Civil War) was played by
Kenneth Branagh - Ken's first job out of RADA which effectively launched
him. The film version had Colin Firth in that role - which he did rather
well.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0086904
http://us.imdb.com/CommentsShow?0086904
(although some of those comments clearly don't understand the setting, or
in some cases, are just factually inaccurate)

Cheers
Martin