[thechat] Bi-directional User Interface

Syed Zeeshan Haider szh at softhome.net
Tue Nov 26 23:08:01 CST 2002

From: "seb potter"
To: <thechat at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: November 26, 2002, Tuesday 7:19 PM
Subject: Re: [thechat] Bi-directional User Interface

> So, really to help you further I would need to know what kind of
> application you're developing, and which platform(s) you would want it
> to run on.

Hi Seb,
Thanks for such a detailed reply. I reply appreciate it. It was a very good deal
of information.

I am trying to create a simple text editor for Urdu language with Visual Basic
(as it is very easy to learn and use). But after completing about 60% work, I
have bitterly realized that VB doesn't allow us to create bi-directional
interface if we are on Windows 98 SE (which doesn't support bi-directional
interface). It obliged me to think of possibilities in other languages to create
bi-directional interface. I want to run my application on Windows 98 SE but a
friend of mine has told me that development of such program with VB is possible
on Windows XP only as it supports bi-directional interface.
I have created a interface which can disguise itself as bi-directional by adding
text from right to left but it cannot handle line breaks as they are always
inserted in the wrong place.

Thanks again,
Syed Zeeshan Haider.
http://syedzeeshanhaider.faithweb.com/