[thechat] McDonald's food (was: The youth today...)

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Thu Nov 28 13:14:00 CST 2002

Madhu Menon wrote:

> At 06:56 PM 28-11-02, Tara Cleveland wrote:
>> I even tried the "Lighter Choices" menu once. It was *awful*. At
>> least the fatty food has some taste (other than sawdust flavour).
>
> "Low-fat" doesn't have to mean "low taste", Tara. I haven't deep-fried
> anything for several years, and I still manage to eat every day.

Oh, I know that. In fact I've been raised to make mostly low-fat foods. I
meant that the fatty foods on the McDonald's menu have some taste and the
"Lighter Choices" McDonald's menu tastes *really really* awful. I absolutely
didn't mean that low-fat foods taste bad in general. In fact, if you have
the good, fresh ingredients, I'd say that low-fat or medium-fat foods
generally taste better than fatty foods.

> You can make spicy potato wedges instead of fries. These are baked, not
> fried.
<snippage>

We've made something very similar before. I like to parboil my potato wedges
first. I often find that if you don't parboil you either have to bake them
until they're too dry or they aren't quite done in the middle and you end up
eating uncooked potatoes (yuck!). I like a crispy outside and a soft inside,
and I don't think you can do it without a bit of a parboil (or deep frying).

In general, I hate fast foods - I'm just a sucker for McD's french fries - I
know they're bad for me, I just can't help eating them every once in awhile.

I hope that I didn't leave you with the impression that I don't like cooking
and don't know how to cook, and I like fatty McDonald's food.  I *love*
cooking. Probably as much as you do ;-). I've even been a sous-chef in a
couple of restaurants (not very fancy ones though). I know how to make a
yummy Pad Thai. I wish I could do more cooking, but my house is under
renovation and I've got a crappy half-kitchen. I can't wait till it's done
and I can have fabulous dinner parties. If any of you are ever in Toronto,
(after the reno is done of course) give me a call and I'll make you
something that'll knock your socks off!

Regards,
Tara