[thechat] The youth today...

Ashok Hariharan Ashok at MagicalKenya.com
Tue Dec 3 00:39:01 CST 2002

Hey Erika:

I appreciate your detailed reply! I am beginning to see your point of view.

I was in a boarding school for a short while -- corporal punishment
was very common there.  (this school was originally started by the Brits
way back...)

They never used to use a cane, instead they had something called a "flat".
A "flat" looked something like a small cricket bat (dont know if america
has
seen one?!). Corporal punishment involved getting hit by the flat on your
behind.

However, in the subsequent schools that I went to, corporal punishment was
more of an exception rather than a rule ---  though most of the time I was
the exception :o).

  |(BTW is corporal punishment something traditional for India, or was
  |it a gift from the British?)

--ashok