[thechat] The youth today...

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Dec 3 12:03:01 CST 2002

Hi Ashok,

>They never used to use a cane, instead they had something called a "flat".
>A "flat" looked something like a small cricket bat (dont know if america
>has seen one?!). Corporal punishment involved getting hit by the flat on your
>behind.

actually, at my Jr High school they used that kind of thing... just
like Ken says, a paddle with holes drilled in it.  Only a couple kids
would get "swatted" it was definitely the minority and I think now
it's no longer allowed.

>However, in the subsequent schools that I went to, corporal punishment was
>more of an exception rather than a rule ---  though most of the time I was
>the exception :o).

you were a spirited child. ;-)

Remember when you realized the most powerful thing you could do when
getting swatted, spanked, whatever, was to act like it was no big
deal.  Shake it off, yawn, laugh, grit your teeth... just don't cry.
The same thing (no response) works well also against people who
aggressively tickle...

Erika