[thechat] Gee, that time again...

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Mon Dec 9 14:31:01 CST 2002

elfur wrote:

>i walked right into that one, didn't i.

no I was just being contentious.  I thought it would be fun for a change.

>so lets rephrase:
>... oh wait, you guys (all but the native) do that on thanksgiving ...

what I do for thanksgiving: I give my (native) child to her (native)
family and they spend happy quality time together while I sit home
and do whatever I want for a short period of time.

This year it was microbrew, chicken fajitas, some dvds, a friend who
cooks, and guitar.  It was just lovely.

the idea of *not* celebrating a traditional thanksgiving, even for
American Indians, is new (since the 1960's or so) and somewhat
radical and a very individualized and also a conflicted thing.  The
American Indians I know are more family-oriented than political and
would celebrate Thanksgiving even despite the origins.  I call it
"taking ownership" of the holiday.

I don't know elfur I just think the whole US approach to holidays
should be rethought.  We are supposed to have freedom of religion in
this nation but still certain religions get recognized while others
do not.  I would like to see us all have the whole month off from
thanksgiving to new years and we can all do whatever we can fit into
that month: ramadan, haunikkah, kwaanzaa, xmas, etc.

(yeah I know the world would end if we gave workers a WHOLE MONTH OFF
but actually I don't think so.  I think we should demand it as a
nation.  I'm ready to march on washington...)

Now I'd still have to take vacation days for the 'Fix the Earth'
ceremony that occurs during the tenth moon, and I wouldn't be able to
participate in the full cycle even then, but at least I'd have some
time to do some real hardcore ceremony action and not just the wussy
ridiculous one day off that so many companies give for xmas and
thanksgiving.

Erika