[thechat] Internet Makes Dow Jones Open to Suit in Australia

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Thu Dec 12 23:25:00 CST 2002

Madhu Menon wrote:
> What would happen if I published supposedly libelous material on my Web
> site and an Aussie wanted to sue me? He couldn't forcibly drag my arse down
> there, could he? If an Australian court declares that I am indeed guilty,
> how can it enforce its sentence when I'm halfway across the world?

You haven't pissed me off that much, Madhu. ;)

I believe the reason the Dow Jones could be made to go to court here was
that they owned assets here, so if they didn't show up, they could lose
them. As it is, I could make libellous remarks about someone in, say,
Afghanistan safely... I don't own anything there, and have no intention
of going there. That's how I think it works anyway.
--
Lach
Web: http://illuminosity.net/