[thechat] Islam

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Dec 17 14:30:00 CST 2002

PRACTICING VS NON-PRACTICING

Syed wrote:

>What do you mean by "practicing muslims"?

I don't know about you but sometimes we speak about people who
"practice" their religion vs those who are born into a religion but
are more passive about the practice.

This is more common with some religions than others, particularly
those with a long history... for example Judaism.  You can be Jewish
but not practice the Jewish religion... or so I'm told.

Catholics, similar.  I have friends who talk about being "recovering"
Catholics by which I think they mean they were raised in the church
and now they are trying to find a new way and maybe undo what they
consider to be some level of indoctrination by the church.  While
"practicing" Catholics go to Mass and participate in other
church-related activities, etc.

RELIGION VS SPIRITUALITY

I don't exactly know how to distinguish between religion and
spirituality... I think (in black and white) spirituality is the
practice of a faith while religion is the political and social
structure around a faith.

I think it is good to tell other people about your spiritual views IF
they are at all receptive... if not, you're wasting precious breath.

Me for one, I take an interest in others' spiritual beliefs and
practices.  It is interesting and I get a kick out of observing the
commonalities and differences.  I had a big Jung/Campbell education
since a young age and over the years I've based my whole view of
spirituality on Jung's notion of a Universial Unconscious layered
over with cultural, familial, and individual symbolism.

In the world, there are three (3) religions that are extremely similar:
Islam, Judaism, Christianity: the big 3.

These are monotheistic religions based on writing rather than orality
or image... and they empower the male over the female.  (not all
spiritual practices do this, but the monotheistic ones and
writing-based ones do...)

These 3 are *not* my favorite religions, though they have their good
points.  At their best, in the ideal world, I think they are all
valid ways to live and I would always endeavor to respect those who
wish to observe the practice of these religions... AS LONG AS they
also would endeavor to respect me as I practice my own.

Erika