[thechat] Islam -- alcohol

Syed Zeeshan Haider szh at softhome.net
Wed Dec 18 09:51:13 CST 2002

From: "Chris Marsh"
To: <thechat at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: December 17, 2002, Tuesday 9:39 PM
Subject: [thechat] Islam -- alcohol

> This made me wonder a little. I was under the impression that a muslim
> should not drink alcohol because it corrupts the body. If this is the
> case, why would this guy care whether or not he physically touched a
> bottle containing alcohol? If however, alcohol is not permitted because
> it corrupts society (which make sense of him not wanting to touch the
> bottle; it being a matter of principle) how could he reconcile working
> in an establishment that promotes alcohol?
>
> I would be interested in the comment of practicing Muslims.

The impression, under which you were, was right.
When a Muslim touches a bottle of alcohol, there are two possibilities:
1.    The bottle's outer surface is clean and dry.
2.    The bottle's outer surface is "polluted" with alcohol
In first case Muslim can touch alcohol but in second case he/she must not touch.
If he/she, however, has to touch a "polluted" bottle because of any reasons, a
thorough hand wash will become necessary.
Islam gives medical as well as moral reasons for disapproving the use of alcohol
as a drink.

Coming back to your question, a Muslim must avoid working with an establishment
which promotes alcohol. If he/she has to work because of any valid reason(s)
then aforementioned law must be applied.

Sorry for a religious mail, Chris. You just asked for it.

Syed Zeeshan Haider.
http://syedzeeshanhaider.faithweb.com/