[thechat] PBS vs. BBC Funding

Roger Austin raustin3 at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 19 10:57:00 CST 2002

<delurk>
  For PBS, the stations that carry their programming are separate
organizations with separate funding. (Actually, they purchase
programming from PBS and others.) For example, my local station in North
Carolina both purchases PBS programs and is the source for some PBS
programs. The local PBS carrier is part of the University of North
Carolina system.
  How does the BBC do it? Do they own the local stations that carry
their programming? I wonder if the funding would be closer if you
compared all the local carriers budgets and PBS budget with the BBC
which I thought owned it all.
  Roger
</delurk>