[thechat] Religion

Chris Marsh chris at webbtech.co.uk
Thu Dec 19 11:55:00 CST 2002

> > So why not contact the publishers of these sites rather than making
> > the massive, crass and potentially insulting assumptions that the
> > entire list a) reads these sites and b) operates in
> ignorance of the
> > nature of Islam.
>
> Most of them are big organizations and we need organizations
> to counter them. A single individual can only mail them and
> never receive any reply.

So why not join/create such an organisation and proceed in that manner?
You haven't answered the question.

[..]

> information about Christianity and Judaism. Ashok inquired
> about the reasons for which I post religious mails. I replied
> him in a *little detail*.

No he didn't. In your first paragraph you respond to a comment made by
Ashok. I have no objections to the principle of responding to comment. I
have no issue with the discussion content being religious, *in
principle*. The only question he asked you was "what are you worried
about?". You responded to *this* question in a little detail. I am not
irritated by you responding to questions. However, you wrote the
following:

"I have observed on internet that most non-Muslims are in serious
problems and misunderstandings about Islam."
This is the sort of inane, subjective drivel that I object to, and
knowing you from your postings on theList I believe is unworthy of your
intellect. I challenge you: back this up with cold hard fact, or admit
that this comment has no basis in fact whatsoever and drink a long tall
glass of shut the heck up.

You also wrote:

"I like to show the people real pictures of Islam and Pakistan."
In that case do so. I have heard nothing objective from you, just
unsubstantiated non-facts based on your own view of the world. It has
nothing to do with Islam per se; Islam is merely the topic for
discussion.

> And that reply, I think, irritated
> you. I began by just posting a link. I did not forced anybody

I didn't follow it. Neither did I object to you posting it.

[..]

> > Frankly, I'll criticise who and what I please for whatever reason I
> > choose. It's called "freedom of speech"[1], and should be
> preserved at
> > all costs.
>
> Agreed! But my freedom of speech allows me to disagree and
> clarify my side. Doesn't it?

*swiiiiiisssssh*[0] Yup. As long as you do this, and don't merely
attempt to curtail my right to debate.

> > I don't ask you to agree with my criticisms or even pay them any
> > attention. Have I ever criticised Islam or Pakistan because
> I "don't
> > like them"?

[..]

> Feel free to
> delete my posts if they irritate you.

*sigh* I've already told you, I'm not anti-Syed or anti-Islam. I believe
that everything has a time and a place, and I believe that obsession
with religion as anything else is unhealthy for the psyche.

> > I'll state for the record I have made a conscious and informed
> > decision not to follow any organised religion. I don't
> disbelieve in
> > God, but for reasons forthcoming I find Hir irrelevant.
>
> Just a question! You have decided not to follow any organised
> religion. I hope there are many others like you in your
> country. How do the religious leaders of your family religion
> (which your parents followed) react to this situation in your country?

What religious leaders? What religion? My parents (to my knowledge) have
no religion, which is not to say that they are not spiritual people. My
grandmother is a Methodist but I have no idea (and even less interest)
who runs the Methodist church. In case you are not aware, most Christian
leaders in the UK seem to be soiling their britches and making up the
rules as they go along in order to win back support for the Christian
church. Oh, that's as well as resigning for having abetted sustained and
sexual child abuse.

[..]

> > but I object to your
> > bigotry as I would object to bigotry from anyone.
>
> Objection sustained! Don't read my mails if they irritate you.

Point taken.

> Thank you my friend. I enjoyed your criticism.

Regards

Chris Marsh

[0] The sound of a point being missed