[thechat] Anybody done charts in Excel?

Andrew Forsberg - pander andrew at thepander.co.nz
Sun Dec 22 02:34:01 CST 2002

Just out of interest -- why would you want to do this?

Everytime I see a graph manipulated like this it looks like the author/s are
trying to fool their audience (whether or not the audience is looking close
enough to see the wee wiggly lines near the zero x and y axes, or even if
there is one -- which means the audience has to notice an anomaly in the x /
y scale increments). Isn't this just one of those things kids are taught
early in secondary school? I remember being scalded for not remembering the
wiggly bits on the axes.

I'm not sure what the graph's representing, so feel free to tell me your new
'zero axes' are industry standards, and to stfu -- but in presentations,
profiles, newspapers (best examples are the crime rate, stock values, and
political ratings) it's blatant misrepresentation.

Anyway, I'm ranting, sorry. :) I'm going to go kill something in c-s.