[thechat] Study: 9/11 dust not a health threat

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 26 09:08:00 CST 2002

> From: "Syed Zeeshan Haider" <szh at softhome.net>
[...]
> A question:
>
> I have seen many times in news the collapsing buildings, in USA, with
> lots of dust and noise. These are destroyed by authorities with (maybe
> different) explosives and people there like to see this demonstration.
> Doesn't that dust affect people's health? What is special with
> September 11 dust that it was initially consider very hazardous?

buildings that are demolished are cleared of hazardous chemicals,
people, furniture, and other things... when they blow up the
building, they really only blow up the support, and let the building
fall into itself... the cloud of dust is expected, and based on
weather patterns, nearby sections of town are closed off until the
dust settles...

in the case of 9/11, we're talking about two giant towers with
burning jet fuel, all sorts of other things on fire (people, furniture,
computers, etc.), and a complete lack of any control for clearing
people out of the vicinity, given that it was an attack and not a
controlled felling of a building...

hopefully you can see that the two are not analogous...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself