[thechat] From science and computers, a new face of Jesus

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Tue Dec 31 03:51:00 CST 2002

At 01:23 PM 31-12-02, Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:

>I am curious about the comments of practicing Christians in this forum.

I'm not a practising anything, let alone a Christian, but the research
methods used in this process are dodgy.

For starters:

"It isn't the face of Jesus, because we're not working with the skull of
Jesus, but it is the departure point for considering what Jesus would have
looked like,"

"Neave and a team of researchers started with an Israeli skull dating back
to the 1st century."

So... they picked up the skull of an arbitrary person living in the 1st
century, whose only link to Jesus is that he was a Jew? Does that mean all
Jews looked alike at that time? Given the differences in the faces of
people in a country, how is this anything close to reliable?

"They then used computer programs, clay, simulated skin and their knowledge
about the Jewish people of the time to determine the shape of the face, and
color of eyes and skin."

Once again, did Jewish people at the time all have similar face shape,
colour of eyes and skin? Not bloody likely.

"In the New Testament, "would Paul (one of the apostles) have written, 'If
a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him' if Jesus Christ had had long
hair?" the article speculates. "

Ah, but Jesus wasn't considered a regular "man", was he? That could be his
excuse. ;)

I'm no expert on the Bible, and I don't know if any part of the Bible
describes Jesus's facial features in detail. If it does, however, and you
are believing the words of Paul, and hence believing what the Bible says,
why should you then suspect the truthfulness of how the Bible describes Jesus?
(Just playing devil's advocate, of course.)

Seeing that we're into wild speculation, I believe that Jesus may have
looked like this:
http://tinyurl.com/3ydf

After all, he is described as a "messiah" in certain circles.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Internet User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net   |   Yahoo messenger: cold_logic

Content * Interfaces * Usability * Net Strategy