[thechat] From science and computers, a new

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Wed Jan 1 19:47:00 CST 2003

aardvark wrote:
> > From: "Syed Zeeshan Haider" <szh at softhome.net>
> [...]
> > What about your jaw now? I am suspecious about yours.
>
> mine's full of ham... i like ham...

If you munch while you type (or type while you munch), the chances of
whatever you're munching falling into your keyboard and gumming up the works
increases exponentially.  YMMV.

> > Meteors dropping on earth, Irina.
>
> what's that got to do with ham?

A meteor is a meteoroid which has entered the atmosphere.  Meteor is also a
really bad film made in 1979 which starred Sean "Yesh" Connery [1], Karl
Malden, Natalie Wood and Martin Landau.  Oh, and Brian Keith playing a
Russian (!).  One of my favourite bits was seeing Simon Cadell do a turn as
a BBC announcer, knowing very well that he would go on to play the long
suffering Jeff in Hi-De-Hi (cue female Welsh accent: "Oh Mistah
Fair-brothaaaah ...").  One of the producers, Run Run Shaw, went on to help
produce Blade Runner, so he's forgiven.

In Meteor, Martin Landau played a general in a fairly hammy way, even more
hammy than he usually is (and I include Space:1999 in that), and thus that's
what meteors have got to do with ham.  The defence rests, and would like to
request the court that he have a large vodka martini brought to him.  [large
vodka martini is brought]  Objection!  This vodka martini has been
stirred!!!

[1] don't take that "Yesh" as a piss take - I think Shean is great, and I
wish everyday life was more like movies he was in.  Except Meteor.  And
Never Say Never Again.  And Zardoz was a bit sucky too.

Oh yeah, Bibi Besch played Shean's wife in Meteor, and she played Captain
Kirk's ex-bint in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like