[thechat] New Year's Resolution

javier velasco lists at mantruc.com
Thu Jan 2 11:49:01 CST 2003

Madhu Menon wrote:

> At 08:45 PM 02-01-03, javier velasco wrote:
> >c'mon madhu, you're paying too much respect to your old nickname
> >(cold-logic), where's your indian spirituality?
>
> Contrary to popular belief, not all Indians are deeply spiritual.
> Oh, it helps sell the tourism for sure. It suckers all those Westerners who
> come here to find "the meaning of life".

LOL.

what's more silly is that people from America (the continent, not the
country) visit India in search of ancient wisdom instead of exploring
Mexico-Guatelala (etc.) for a comparable knowledge that is much more
proper to them.

> I, for one, don't have a spiritual bone in my body. I'm governed by logic,
> science, reason, and fairness.

rationality is a good thing, but it's not enough. i know lots of people
that are like that, and i can tell you that you're missing lots of
interesting knowledge that's not explainable my scientifical standards.

> >a year is what it takes for agriculture to make a cycle
>
> Related to the orbit of the Earth.
>
> >a year is that it takes a Condor to grow enough to learn to fly
>
> But not all animals. Some take a few months, others more than a year. ;)
> Humans carry babies for 9 months, elephants for 2 years or more.

and some insects don't even live for a day

> >a year is what it takes to pass to next grade in school
>
> Only because we made it so.
>
> >a year is what we have to wait to go on vacations again
>
> As above.

my point is that things can be as interesting as you want them to be

what's the poing of watching the sunset from a 100% rational point of
view?

> >what i love about the new year is that it gives you the chance to leave
> >history behind and the chance of doing new things, a chance to renew
> >your energy and mental mood.
>
> And which of the above couldn't you do three months ago? Some people need a
> kick in the pants, and the new year provides a convenient starting point.
> But don't tell me that you can't do new things in September.
>
> The inner strength you seek is within you (to state the obvious.) Just call
> on it when you need it, not 12 months from then.

yes of course that's true, and one can always be working in your ineer
growth. but this _collective feeling_ of "folding the page" is what
makes it more exciting.