[thechat] rationality is not enough (was: New Year's Resolution)

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Fri Jan 3 16:05:00 CST 2003

Joe wrote:
> first, the sun is a much larger object than you or i can possibly imagine,
> and yet there it is, we see on a regular basis - a fiery nuclear furnace
> generating light and and energy and has done so for a long time - that

"The sun is a mass of incandescent gas
A gigantic nuclear furnace
Turning hydrogen into helium
At a temperature of millions of degrees."

- They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Shine?"
(originally from "Space Songs", 1959)

Google it: http://tinyurl.com/41yb

That's about as spiritual as it gets for me. I have no trouble getting all
worked up and mystical about proven, scientific, rational facts. The
universe has plenty of nifty secrets without adding anthropomorphized
creator-beings.

But that's just me, and I've been known to modify that outlook quite rapidly
on a whim. "Sure, I believe in God today. Why not? Now gimme that wafer, I'm
hungry." :)

(Sorry if that offends anyone. Since I wasn't baptized, I've never taken
communion, and I've always thought it was one of the weirdest practices out
there... but I certainly don't mean to mock anyone's personal religious
beliefs. Honestly.)

Also on this thread, and going back to a previous thread on quantum physics,
I must once again highly recommend "The Tao of Physics" for anyone who is
interested in exploring the connections between science and spirituality.

Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/41z9

--

David Wagner
dave at worlddomination.net