[thechat] speaking of meteors....

Ken Kogler kenkogler at kenkogler.com
Fri Jan 3 19:38:01 CST 2003

> Is anyone here into astronomy?

I took a college course on it and loved it, and had some memorable
nights stargazing with friends and bigass telescopes... :)

Unfortunately, Chicago has WAAAAAY too much light pollution for me to
see anything really interesting. When I graduate and get my own place
and car (and telescope, perhaps), I plan on picking up where the class
left off.

Which, IIRC, was calculating the weight of the sun. Interesting, but
since I won't be playing Trivial Pursuit anytime soon, the info is more
or less useless... :)

Interesting side note: There's an observatory on the shores of Lake
Michigan right behind the Adler Planetarium downtown. We (the class)
were there about 10:00pm one night looking at the moons of Jupiter when
the lab tech showed us a VHS tape they had made with the camera inside
the telescope. They had turned it around and used the telescope to look
in windows of the buildings downtown... Lots of interesting things going
on in the Sears Tower! :-)

--Ken