[thechat] rationality is not enough (was: New Year's Resolution)

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Sat Jan 4 11:01:01 CST 2003

> I certainly like to think that there are electromagnetic
> phenomena, and
> phenomena we don't understand, which will give us evidence of
> some of the
> things psychics talk about. But as of yet, they're not reproducibly
> measurable. :-\
>
> > Besides a lot of scientific "proof" requires us to have a
> lot of faith
> > in the scientist - I for one have to blindly accept the maths is
> > right....
>
> We're in subtle-distinction land, and I pray (ha!) that my words don't
> strike you as rude.

Not at all,

I like a rational explanation for everything, but I also know I'll never
have the capacity to understand it all, therein lies my optimism and my
faith - in both science and the existence of something that makes things
the way they are.

I'd also like to think that the act of measuring "psychic phenomena" is
what causes it to fail, kind of like the cat thing - it can be dead or
alive until we open the box then it has to be one or the other. Maybe
psychic phenomena exists only in a state of uncertainty and as soon as
you start to measure it it can no longer exist?

I like subtle distinction land, don't you? - to me it allows for
infinite possibilities.

Fantastic!