[thechat] rationality is not enough (was: New Year's Resolution)

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Jan 6 12:35:00 CST 2003

At 11:05 PM 06-01-03, Joe Crawford wrote:

>I read some essay
>of his that was saying religion was the problem, and that without religion
>we'd be much better off.
>I find this hollow, and can only think that one
>of the greatest mass murderers of the 20C was Stalin, head of an athiest
>state. Ho hum as far as that goes.

A non sequitur.

Stalin (atheist) = mass murderer
Therefore atheists = mass murderers (or "bad people")

does not compute.

People have committed murder in the name of their God/religion too. Don't
Osama and gang do just that?
Just because one atheist was a maniac doesn't make the rest of us evil.
Ditto for religious people.

As for religion being the problem, I will refrain from commenting. I think
I should go easy on the religious discussion here.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Internet User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net   |   Yahoo messenger: cold_logic

Content * Interfaces * Usability * Net Strategy