[thechat] rationality is not enough (was: New Year's Resolution)

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Jan 6 13:50:00 CST 2003

At 12:15 AM 07-01-03, Joe Crawford wrote:
>It's interesting, I see athiest dogma and religious dogma as very closely
>related. And evangelists for either tend to get tedious.

I beg to differ, Joe.

I rarely discuss religion with people. Why? Because I don't *have* any
beliefs to peddle. I don't want to convince anyone my god or way of life is
better. I only mention my atheism if someone directly asks me, or if it
comes up in the discussion.

So I don't think you'll find too many "evangelists" for atheism. Advocates
for evolutionary theory, perhaps. But we're not moving from door to door
telling people that the Lord ISN'T coming, and to give us money. ;0
See, I don't really care if people join me in my beliefs (or lack thereof.)  :)

I'm not out there preaching "Convert to atheism now. You'll find true
happiness, you'll find salvation etc."

Have *you* found such people?

>Sometimes I really wish we were all in the same room having
><?=$beverage_of_choice?> and talking about this stuff. Maybe with a jazz
>trio playing in the corner.

We'd end up killing each other. ;)

I prefer not to discuss religion because:

a) I'll probably lose a friend
b) I'll probably NOT convince him/her of my position
c) He/she may try to kill me because I'm an infidel. No point taking a risk.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Internet User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net   |   Yahoo messenger: cold_logic

Content * Interfaces * Usability * Net Strategy