[thechat] 2nd hard drive - jumper switches question

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Tue Jan 7 01:42:01 CST 2003

Ken Kogler wrote:
> Shirley,
>
> IIRC, removing all jumpers makes the drive a slave.
>
> That's purely speculative and based on my recollection of personal
> experiences, but it's almost 1:30am here and I'm trying to eat my #6
> from Wendy's. :)

No, that WD drive requires a jumper in to set either master, slave or CS -
with the jumper out, it thinks it's the only drive on that IDE channel.
Just you concentrate on eating that #6 dude :)

> The jumper settings are also usually ON the actual hard drive itself
> (the label on the top), and sometimes not in the documentation at all...

Yeah, I would have said so too, but the last time I looked at a WD drive was
a couple of WD800JBs (damn, those are fast, with the 8MB of onboard cache -
w00t), and I'd look at them again, but they're in a 1U box in a rack in
Telehouse, which is rather far away from me right now :)

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like