[thechat] rationality is not enough (was: New Year's Resolution)

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Tue Jan 7 04:31:00 CST 2003

At 01:21 07/01/2003 +0530, Madhu Menon wrote:
>But we're not moving from door to door
>telling people that the Lord ISN'T coming, and to give us money. ;0

   Now there's an idea.

   "Hi, have you got a moment? I'd like to talk to you about Atheism. I
believe that Jesus is not coming to save you, and in fact doesn't give a
damn about you because he doesn't exist, nor God, nor the Holy Ghost, nor
any of the companies of angels and archangels, nor the cherubim, seraphim
and fourwinged beasts of the Apocalypse. What do exist are Churches trying
to bilk you of your hard earned cash. I suggest you give it to me instead,
and tell the others to go away when they knock. We also have this little
magazine you can subscribe to; it's all about God - four blank pages every
month, see? -  and it's only five euros a year which I'm sure you'll agree
is very reasonable for any kind of subscription. Thank you."

   I suspect it'd actually go down better than my own beliefs: "Hi, I'd
like to talk to you about Thor. He's this big, occasionally drunk guy with
a hammer who lives in Valhalla..."

   Drew. Talkin' bout that ol' time religion, yeah.

Drew Shiel                               webmaster at swiftpay.com
                                                     +353-1-2365705