[thechat] sharks (was: rationality)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 7 10:23:05 CST 2003

> From: Ben Dyer <ben_dyer at imaginuity.com>
> >
> >i was so disappointed with Macross Plus... is the movie Do You
> >Remember Love? that was a gorgeous movie, even if the original
> >english dub was pretty monotone... the budweiser can that flies out
> >of Fokker's valkyrie as he flies into Dolza's ship is pretty funny...
> >lots of those 1-frame gags...
>
> That was the Macross II movie, right?  I've actually never seen it.
> Did they ever release it R1?

no, Do You Remember Love was the Macross series reformulated
as one movie... Macross II was later, based on the series, and
IMO, not very good...

and i have it dubbed off a laserdisc, got it back in, oh, 1990 or so...

> Found it online (bored, trawling anime IRC channels).  It's a
> five-episode OAV being released one episode at a time, three months
> apart (jerks).  It's actually a prequel, taking place in 2008 (I
> think).  Roy Fokker makes an appearance in the first OAV and
> supposedly Hikaru and *shudder* Minmay make appearances later.
>
> There's a brief (four-page) preview of it in this month's NewType.

sweet... gotta go track it down...

[...]
> I enjoy old-school stuff, too, but it's harder for me to find.  I have
> the Bubblegum Crisis box set (actually, for that matter, I have the
> BGC Tokyo 2040 box set, too).  Lupin III is heading for Cartoon
> Network very soon and the movies are hard to get because each one is
> licensed by a different company.  I have half of the original Mobile
> Suit Gundam series on DVD and Getter Robo and Speed Racer...er...I
> mean "Mach Go Go Go" are on my "must-buy" DVD list.
>
> Unfortunately, everything in anime nowadays is about the latest and
> greatest.

yeah, i know...

and all my old stuff is dubbed off laser discs from friends, things
like Grey, Orguss, Patlabor, Dominion, and lots of other mech
anime (lost my Black Magic M-66 and Appleseed tapes, and even
had a few episodes of Area 88)...

i've only got a few of the newer titles... it's much harder for me to
enjoy them now, probably because i keep thinking i've seen it all
before...

i'm like a parent yelling at his kids for the music on the radio...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself