[thechat] Recipe: Tom Yam Gai (Thai Hot n' Sour soup)

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Tue Jan 7 11:39:01 CST 2003

At 08:06 PM 07-01-03, Norman Beresford wrote:
>I use crap from stock cubes, but boil a chicken breast in it until it's
>cooked.  Then shred the chicken breast and add it back in later.

Too much salt, too much MSG. Plus the chicken stock in the cubes is
probably a western stock recipe, which may use carrots and onions (and
hence has a stronger flavour and colour.) That would be a bit too intrusive
in the fresh flavours of Tom Yam.

If you use the stock cubes, you'll get one salty soup with my recipe. You
might have to drop the fish sauce then.

In any case, try it out with the cubes and tell me how it turns out.

A chicken breast only takes 5-7 minutes to be done. Not a lot of time.

>(courtsey
>of Nigel Slater, who is cooking god as far as I'm concerned)

Not quite Chalie Amatyakul, eh? :)

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Internet User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net   |   Yahoo messenger: cold_logic

Content * Interfaces * Usability * Net Strategy