[thechat] Recipe: Tom Yam Gai (Thai Hot n' Sour soup)

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Wed Jan 8 10:14:01 CST 2003

On 8 Jan 2003 at 17:30, Madhu Menon posted a message which said:
> >He was responsible for the rebirth of 'British' cookery, ie
> >lots of traditional recipies (faggots, stews, steamed puddings etc).

> There's a traditional dish called "faggots"?
> [raises eyebrow]
> Oh my!

Did your mother call herself "Mrs. Something"?  You need look it what
"Mrs" stands for. You'll *really* oh-my *that* one.

A "faggot" is a bundle of twigs, sticks, or branches bunched together.
Obviously, it's not too far to define tobacco bundled into a cigar or
cigarette as a faggot. Of course, *anything* that gets inhaled into a
mouth could end up getting called a faggot. Of course, there are no
homosexual sex acts, so why the term "faggot" only gets applied to male
homosexuals, not to all sexually-active males, is beyond me.

deke

--
If I have seen farther than others, it is by stepping on the toes of
giants