[thechat] Kosher

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Wed Jan 8 13:13:00 CST 2003

> > What exactly does "kosher" mean? What are the dietary restrictions
> > involved? Is chicken OK? How about pork?
>
> Kosher means "fit to eat".  The laws are pretty much based on
> sanitation and humane treatment of animals, as understood when the laws
> went into force.

One of the interesting bits of kosher law that I haven't seen mentioned is
the certification process. In the US, at least, any food production kitchen,
whether restaurant or manufacturer, must be overseen, certified, and (I
believe) blessed by a rabbi in order to claim that the food is, indeed,
kosher. There's an organization that handles this, but I can't remember what
it is. They're the ones who get to put the little circled-K on your food
boxes.

Not to be confused with the convenience store chain.

"Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K."
- Ted "Theodore" Logan

--

David Wagner
dave at worlddomination.net