[thechat] File (esp. mp3) sharing apps

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Tue Jan 14 09:25:06 CST 2003

At 10:20 PM 1/13/2003, you wrote:
>What's everybody using these days? What's the hip new app that can't be
>beat? And, for that matter, when was the last time you heard someone use the
>term "peer-to-peer file sharing"?

Er...uh...

Here, try this: <http://www.afternapster.com/>

I tried a number of things about six months ago: a KaZaA clone, various
Gnutella clients and even eDonkey 2000 (which I couldn't get to work).  I
just gave up and decided to wait it out for the next thing.  Unforunately,
with the demise of Napster and Audiogalaxy (and the wide libraries they
had), I could no longer find the very specific stuff I was looking for.

The only file sharing program of any kind I've used in the past six months
is BitTorrent, <http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/>, which is an
interesting concept, but is not for just regular file sharing of stuff.  It
works well when there are 500 people trying to get to the same large file
at the same time (read: the latest anime fansub :) because you can pull the
file from the original server or from anyone else downloading it at the
same time.  Obviously, however, this model only works well when there are a
number of people with the exact same file at the exact same time, not for
just sporadic MP3 files.

Meh.  It's still better than IRC.

--Ben