[thechat] Canada

Dean Mah dmah at members.evolt.org
Tue Jan 14 23:30:01 CST 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 11:34:17PM +0100, Joern Vehoff wrote:

> Do you Canadians have any tipps where I should look? (I tried monster.ca
> so far.) But are there more good sites? Which companies are good? And
> what is the general situation for Canadian IT?
> I dare not to ask, but what is the situation at the companies you work
> for? (Do you want to employ me? :) )
>
> Well, if you are curious, my CV is at http://www.joern.vehoff.net/cv.php
>
> For any hints, tipps, URLs and suggestions, I would *very* thankful.

You might want to check out:

   http://www.macleans.ca/xta-doc2/2002/10/28/Cover/73976.shtml

Which supposedly lists the Top 100 companies to work for in Canada.
However, Research In Motion (RIM) layed off a bunch of people right
after this issue was published so I don't know how accurate it is.

The general situation is tough like most places.  xwave, a consulting
company here, has just announced job cuts.  Most of the oil and gas
companies in Calgary are still doing okay though.

The company that I work for, Metso Automation, is doing well.  A
recent job mailing announced 4 positions in technical positions from
entry level to senior programmers.  We're also featured on the cover
of the Macleans issue above.  In Calgary, we do SCADA work but Metso
has offices all over the world and in varied industries.

   http://www.metsoautomation.com/
   http://www.metso.com/

For other general job postings, check out:

   http://www.workopolis.com/

which collects job postings from all of the newspapers across the
country.

Dean