[thechat] Visual Studio 6 or Visual Studio .NET?

Quackamoe quackamoe at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 15 12:14:01 CST 2003

Okay, I just started a 6-week C++ class yesterday.
University of California Irvine Extension. The
instructor taught our people Ada83 several years
ago and has a good reputation so I thought I'd
give it a try. Boeing is paying for the class and
any required books and software. Book is "Beginning
C++ The Complete Language" by Horton. He says we
can either get Visual Studio 6 or Visual Studio .NET.
We're going to use .NET in the labs but he says you
can use 6 okay-fine for what we're going to be doing.

Now, I have nothing upon which to make this choice
so I thought I'd see if you could help me make an
*informed* choice. I have a PC with Win98SE and a
laptop* with Win2KPro.

TIA,

Terry

* I'm supposedly** loosing my Dell PC here at work
  today and getting a laptop and docking station
  in exchange. This so I can telnet into the Solaris
  server from home and do daily builds. I'm also
  getting a company-paid DSL line. WooHoo!

** Okay, it's not supposedly anymore. Just signed for
   and received a Dell Latitude and a Dell docking
   station. Win2KPro. Yeesh, I don't know jack about
   Win2k. This will be interesting.