[thechat] b&w photography

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Wed Jan 15 15:01:01 CST 2003

Ken Kogler went bragging on his purty picture:  ;-)

>>I started taking a b&w photography class last semester (August 2002) and
>>have really started to like it... A lot.

>>Since there's some members here who are into photography, I post now,
>>for your comments and for viewing pleasure, the best picture I've ever
>>taken:

>>http://kenkogler.com/images/lake.jpg

Very nice picture Ken!

I'm glad you're enjoying the class.  Must be working!  That exposure is
very well done.

Check out any local photo societies in your area?

<scanning memory banks>
If I recall correctly, competitive photography often judges images on a
9 point scale. A maximum of 3 points is given in each of three categories:
*technical merit* - exposure, focus, depth of field, etc.
*composition* - a little more subjective, looking for the arrangement of
strong visual elements, strong diagonals, ect.
*impact* - a more visceral response to the image.

I think there are usually 3 judges involved - so you get a score from 3 to 27.
(Actually usually more like 15 to 24.  I think most folks submit their 'good'
work, although some submit shots they 'aren't sure about' just to get the
judge's commentary on what might have improved the shot.)

Entries from 'advanced' photographers are usually placed in a separate class
[class "a"] than the rest of us [class "b"].

Prints and slides are usually judged separately. I think B&W and color prints
are also separated but I'm not sure if I'm remembering that correctly. I don't
think commercial prints were separated from hand prints - and hand prints usually
did better.

There are also different 'official' categories of competition: nature, art,
portrait, etc. [I think there were 8 categories?]

All I remember at the moment.

Even if you don't compete -- going and watching and listening to the judges
commentary on other people's work can give you good ideas and insight to
improve your own photography!
</scan>

RonL.
(Just a reminder ... Polaroid makes a fun "instant" B&W 35mm slide film.
If you have the gizmo [roughly $100 iirc] it takes about 2 minutes to
develop.  Cut. Mount. Display. Repeat as needed.)