[thechat] b&w photography

javier velasco lists at mantruc.com
Wed Jan 15 15:12:00 CST 2003

Ken Kogler wrote:

> > Nice picture! congratulations. Are you doing the development yourself?
> > The print is well made (nice absolute whites and absolute blacks)
>
> Yeah, I develop my own negatives and print my own prints. There's a lot
> of satisfaction to be had in doing it that way, but it sure does take a
> lot of time/money/energy! :)

but you get to have the control over the outcome.

i once learned how to develop slide film manually, i got the best colors
ever and no stains at all! (ALL the commercial labs in my city stain or
scratch my films, it sucks) but it was a real pain: 11 different
chemical baths, having to control temperature, time and agitation. the
moment when you open the chasis and see the result was very exciting
though!