[thechat] The Secret War on Condoms

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Jan 16 01:47:00 CST 2003

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/10/opinion/10KRIS.html

 From the "We have super-vision beyond an electron microscope" department:

<quote>

Over the last few years conservative groups in President Bush's support
base have declared war on condoms, in a campaign that is downright weird —
but that, if successful, could lead to millions of deaths from AIDS around
the world. I first noticed this campaign last year, when I began to get
e-mails from evangelical Christians insisting that condoms have pores about
10 microns in diameter, while the AIDS virus measures only about 0.1 micron.

Last month at an international conference in Bangkok, U.S. officials
demanded the deletion of a recommendation for "consistent condom use" to
fight AIDS and sexual diseases. So what does this administration stand for?
Inconsistent condom use?

Then there was the Condom Caper on the Web site of the Centers for Disease
Control. A fact sheet on condoms was removed in July 2001 and, eventually,
replaced by one that emphasized that they may not work.

</quote>

Spreading misinformation to promote religious values, especially something
that could lead to your catching a deadly virus, is just not right, IMO.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Internet User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net   |   Yahoo messenger: cold_logic

Content * Interfaces * Usability * Net Strategy