[thechat] Religious dependance

Michele Wandrei michele at inthree.com
Thu Jan 16 08:49:01 CST 2003

I'm usually pretty quiet around here, because my views are very
different from most I've seen on the chat.   I'm not trying to
convert you or force my views on you.  I know that we will
disagree, and that's okay.

For most of my life, I felt the same way that you do.  Those
"religious" people were just too much to take.  Far too many
religious people turn others away from the church -- they can be
pushy and expect everyone to believe and act as they do.

I've come to realize that Christianity is not at all about being
religious.  It's not about rites, rituals, and laws. It's not
about being assimilated.  It is about a life transformed by the
power of God.  That's pretty hard to understand unless you're
willing to experience it.

> The guy acts as if he believes that God does everything for
him, and he
> couldn't do anything without God. What really frustrates me is
his whole
> praise God thing. He made a good program, people liked it, and
yet he
> seems unable to acknowledge that he did a good job.

He DID write a good program, by using the talents that God gave
him.   As a Christian, I know that God created me (you may
disagree) and gave me talents and skills.  If I let Him, He also
gives me the opportunities to use those talents.  This programmer
is giving the glory to God in thanks for those talents and in
spreading the word about his program.

There are many contradictions in Christianity.  Love your
enemies?  Not an easy task.  The essence of it is that it's not
about us.  Life is not all about me.  If I step back and put God
first in my life and serve others, I actually benefit.  I know
this probably makes no sense to you at all.  What you see as
unhealthy dependence is actually what sets us free.  We no longer
have to rely on ourselves.  Yes, we need to use our gifts and
apply ourselves and work hard and make wise choices.  We are not
just blindly following and giving up ourselves.

It's easy for most of us to accept and believe in mysticism and
the supernatural.  We can believe in ghosts, astrology, tarot
cards, etc.  It's much harder for us to accept the supernatural
part of Christianity.  But it's only through the supernatural
power of God that I can love my enemies (and not want to kill
them!).  God works miracles every day -- after all, my husband is
still alive!  ;-)  When those miracles take place in our lives,
we give thanks and praise to God.

> Quite frankly, I find it pathetic...

I'm sorry.  I know that you probably see me as a pathetic fanatic
as well.   I hope that my comments have not offended you.  My
beliefs may be unpopular, but in the long run I can deal with
what you think of me.  What my Creator thinks of me is what's
important to me.
Michele Wandrei
inThree Design
www.inthree.com