[thechat] Religious dependance

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Thu Jan 16 09:10:00 CST 2003

Michele Wandrei wrote:
> He DID write a good program, by using the talents that God gave
> him.   As a Christian, I know that God created me (you may
> disagree) and gave me talents and skills.  If I let Him, He also
> gives me the opportunities to use those talents.  This programmer
> is giving the glory to God in thanks for those talents and in
> spreading the word about his program.

If God truly created us why would he need this kow-towing crap? Surely
he'd want people to be able to maintain their own independant life, or
else why would he create us that way?

> There are many contradictions in Christianity.  Love your
> enemies?  Not an easy task.  The essence of it is that it's not
> about us.  Life is not all about me.  If I step back and put God
> first in my life and serve others, I actually benefit.  I know
> this probably makes no sense to you at all.

It makes sense to me, but I have arrived at the same conclusions without
need of God as a crutch, which is what a lot of people seem to use
him/her/it as. When you really look around at the Universe.. and I mean
a good look at as much of the package as we can more or less look at at
the moment, I'd find it almost impossible to believe the world revolves
around us.

Douglas Adams explained this with an anology to a puddle thinking that
the world must surely have been created for it, since the hole it was in
fit it perfectly well, and kept believing in a god as it was slowly
evaporated... then he compared that to humans finding themselves in a
world that suited them and concluding there must be a God to create a
world that suited them so well.

Hence the God created us in his image, the world is made for us, so it
does revolve around us, sort of thinking.

> It's easy for most of us to accept and believe in mysticism and
> the supernatural.  We can believe in ghosts, astrology, tarot
> cards, etc.

Not me. I'm exactly the same as Madhu in this regard.

> It's much harder for us to accept the supernatural
> part of Christianity.  But it's only through the supernatural
> power of God that I can love my enemies (and not want to kill
> them!).

I don't love my enemies, but I think that whole line is a bit silly, to
be frank... if you love them how can they possibly be your enemies?
People I love I call friends and family...

> I'm sorry.  I know that you probably see me as a pathetic fanatic
> as well.   I hope that my comments have not offended you.  My
> beliefs may be unpopular, but in the long run I can deal with
> what you think of me.  What my Creator thinks of me is what's
> important to me.

No, not at all. I'm not offended by debate, and I don't see people as
pathetic for their beliefs, what I see as pathetic is the inability to
do anything without involving God this and God that.. which is what that
guy does in his story.

Hmm.. I didn't explain that too well. Hope you get the general gist.
--
Lach
Web: http://illuminosity.net/