[thechat] b&w photography

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at curf.edu
Thu Jan 16 11:22:01 CST 2003

>>> I set up a tripod and framed the shot the way I wanted it...
>>> Then snapped a whole roll of film (24 pictures), each picture
>>> with slightly different settings... A few of them turned out
>>
>> we call that "bracketing" --a technique that's well accepted (see:
>> Adams, Ansel)
>
> and an ideal technique for people like me [...]

Stick with what works... That theater pic was shot at dusk, but it looks
much darker because of the faster shutter. Had I gone with my
experience, I would have used a slower shutter to accuratly reproduce
the scene on film.

But now I realize that would have been a much less interesting shot --
the brighter ones turned out rather plain. Still nice, but lacking some
of the dramatic qualities of the one I printed.

So by bracketing, I've learned something new, made a nice picture, and
got an "A+" this week. :)

--Ken