[thechat] b&w photography

javier velasco lists at mantruc.com
Thu Jan 16 13:55:01 CST 2003

Ken Kogler wrote:

> >> we call that "bracketing" --a technique that's well accepted (see:
> >> Adams, Ansel)

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good
photographs."
Ansel Adams

:)

> > and an ideal technique for people like me [...]
>
> Stick with what works... That theater pic was shot at dusk, but it looks
> much darker because of the faster shutter. Had I gone with my
> experience, I would have used a slower shutter to accuratly reproduce
> the scene on film.

I think this is explained by the field theory. i've never studied it,
but what i've heard of makes sense with that (higher "f" for lower light
conditions)

Martin knows more about it, but he's away, maybe irina?

irina kruk wrote:

> What do you all think of these pictures:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/irinakruk/index.html
>
> Also, please do click on the links that on the right
> side - they work.

definately interesting, art like this always triggers strong reactions.

i agree that the leap from print to the web must have a big impact on
them, most look too cluttered for my taste on this lousy 14"

but the ones i most liked are this one:

http://www.geocities.com/irinakruk/K-35.htm

and this one i definately love it, i could ide for a copy!

http://www.geocities.com/irinakruk/K-88.htm

beautiful image irina, cheers!

--
It won a national competition award, and has been
exhibited at various galleries in the nation.

this part i don't understand, did every one of those pictures win a
national competition award? or the full pack?

and also, of which nation? (this IS the interent afterall)

side comment, confession: i've recently discovered that when i see a
great picture, i get jealous. maybe this is a tick i should
follow....hmmm