[thechat] Religious dependance

Jackson Yee jyee at vt.edu
Thu Jan 16 22:16:01 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lachlan Cannon" <luminosity at members.evolt.org>
> The guy acts as if he believes that God does everything for him, and he
> couldn't do anything without God.

You've hit the bullseye - that's *exactly* what he believes.

> What really frustrates me is his whole
> praise God thing. He made a good program, people liked it, and yet he
> seems unable to acknowledge that he did a good job.

I don't think he's solely unable to acknowledge that he did a good job - I
think he's thankful for the growth and opportunities that the program's
provided.  There are plenty of people who write good programs, but not all of
them are successful - there is much more to software development than just
writing code when you want to be paid for it.

If you believe that the universe is random, then it'll make no sense at all.
If you believe that the universe exists as the designs of a greater being,
then it makes perfect sense.  So your view of his story comes down to this:
what do *you* believe?  There are far worse things to become frustrated over
than someone expressing thanks on a website.

Regards,
Jackson Yee
jyee at vt.edu