[thechat] Religious dependance

Michele Wandrei michele at inthree.com
Thu Jan 16 22:52:01 CST 2003

<Lachlan Cannon wrote:>
> If God truly created us why would he need this kow-towing crap?
Surely
> he'd want people to be able to maintain their own independant
life, or
> else why would he create us that way?

It's not kow-towing, although it might look like that.  We do
have free will and we do maintain our independence (and our
intelligence, too).  It's a little like our relationship with our
kids.  There's nothing better than your kid expressing how much
he loves you.  That's what God wants from his kids, too.

> I don't love my enemies, but I think that whole line is a bit
silly, to
> be frank... if you love them how can they possibly be your
enemies?

That's the whole point -- if you go out of your way to love (or
care about or be nice to) the unlovable, you won't be enemies for
long.  I can't say that I really have any enemies, but we all
encounter people that make our lives miserable.  Just treating
them kindly can break down the walls of uncertainty or fear that
create conflict.

> People I love I call friends and family...

There are many different kinds of love.  Love can involve
initimacy, a close relationship, or just respect for someone
else.  I don't know Greek, but the Greeks had many different
words to describe many different kinds of love.  We've rolled
them all into one catch-all term.

> I don't see people as
> pathetic for their beliefs, what I see as pathetic is the
inability to
> do anything without involving God this and God that.. which is
what that
> guy does in his story.
>
> Hmm.. I didn't explain that too well. Hope you get the general
gist.

Yes, I do get your point.  I used to feel exactly the same way.
What I find pathetic are the perfect, "holier than thou" people
who follow all the rules (and make sure you do, too).  They focus
on religion, not relationship with God.
Michele Wandrei
inThree Design
www.inthree.com