[thechat] Now Corporations Claim The Right To Lie

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Fri Jan 17 14:14:01 CST 2003

Elfur Logadottir wrote truely:

>>which is what i was going for, because i've never heard of anyone claiming
>>that a financial statement is art, that's just stupid.

Hi Elfur,

Sorry. Sometimes humor doesn't translate too well.

I believe Madhu's original post had to do with Nike's "right to lie" in
reference to some possibly deliberate mistruths in their public relations
publications.

I saw that as being similar (in spirit at least) to the recent 'liberties'
that Enron and other companies took with their financial statements.

There was a cartoon here in the US {probably Doonesbury} pretending that
Enron was planning to defend themselves by claiming that the copywrite on
their annual reports gave them status as "art" and, therefore, need not be
representative of the facts.

I plead guilty of continuing the propagation of a bad joke.

RonL.
(Though it probably won't be my last. Can I get frequent punner smiles?)