[thechat] Smoking in the US

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Fri Jan 17 15:10:00 CST 2003

At 02:26 AM 18-01-03, Erika Meyer wrote:
>Unfortunately as with many things it seems like the corporations
>target the easiest victims...

Perhaps. No billion dollar lawsuits in this part of the world. :(

>on the rise still, I  believe, in women: smoking ads portray smoking
>as something independent women do -

Here in India, we have ads that show successful executives and movie stars
smoking, and suggesting that smoking is a sign of success. You have ad
lines like "Live life King Size" and "The taste of success". I heard the
Indian government was drawing up a law preventing alcohol and ciggie ads
from doing that. Still waiting...

>- or all thru  my childhood it was
>that way.  Remember Virginia Slims "You've come a long way baby"  --

So *that's* where that line comes from!
I've always wondered.

Where does the "You love me; you realllly love me" line come from? Some
Oscar acceptance speech?

Thanks,

Madhu