[thechat] b&w photography

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Fri Jan 17 15:53:01 CST 2003

Judah McAuley asked:

>>I'm not sure what you mean though by display != 100%.
>>It seems to be correct on my camera.
>>I've got a Nikkon Coolpix 995.

Hi Judah,

Nice camera!  I recently bought the Nikon Coolpix 4500 -- which is
pretty much the same camera.

Phil Askey's review on the 995 says the viewfinder only shows 85% of
the frame:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp995/page2.asp

I thought the LCD only showed 97% ... now where the heck did I see
that ... Ah! Here it is:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp995/page4.asp

"The 995's LCD provides a frame coverage of 98% horizontally and
96% vertically (or approx. 2010 x 1482 pixels), anchored at the bottom
left corner of the frame."

So you end up getting a little bit more than you were expecting on the
upper right corner of the composition ... that's where my
display != 100% comes from.

Yeah - it's pretty darn close and probably doesn't make much of a difference.
I guess, mentally, I just think of it more as a 'rangefinder' than an 'SLR'.

RonL.