[thechat] b&w photography

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Fri Jan 17 20:35:01 CST 2003

On 17 Jan 2003 at 15:51, Luther, Ron posted a message which said:

> So you end up getting a little bit more than you were expecting on the
> upper right corner of the composition ... that's where my display !=
> 100% comes from.

> Yeah - it's pretty darn close and probably doesn't make much of a
> difference. I guess, mentally, I just think of it more as a
> 'rangefinder' than an 'SLR'.

I haven't been seriously involved in photography since the early 1970s,
and at that time, there was exactly one 35MM SLR that showed you
*exactly* what you were getting - the Nikon F1. Most SLRs showed you
about 23x34 of the 24x36 image, but that was OK, because by the time
you put the transparency into a slide mount or printed the picture on
mass-production printing equipment, you only used about 23x34 of the
image anyhow.

I mostly used a twin-lens 6x6 and shot intending to use the 46mm (split-
70mm) mask. That way, any parallax was easily corrected for, and the
spare negative let me worry more about expressions than about framing
the picture. Framing is best done *afterwards*, when you have lots of
time.

deke

--
If I have seen farther than others, it is by stepping on the toes of
giants