[thechat] Religious dependance

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Sat Jan 18 11:43:01 CST 2003

On 18 Jan 2003 at 2:44, m-s s-u-c-k-s posted a message which said:

> >Except Eve wasn't given as much free will as Adam's *first* wife....
> i must have missed sunday school that day. please fill me in! ;)

When God created Adam, he created a woman at the same time. "Man and
woman, he created them," according to Genesis. According to the non-
canonical Book of Adam and Eve, her name was Lilith, and she ran away.

That's pretty much in agreement with Genesis 2, which has Adam planted
in the Garden, but "There was not found a help meet for him," so God
got busy on a Version 2.0, called Eve, made from Adam's rib.

If you can free up the time, there's a lot of interesting reading in
the "non-canonical books of the bible".  For instance, you've wondered
how the world was populated if Adam & Eve only had 3 kids, all male?
Turns out in the BoA&E, that Eve had 5 kids - a male child, mixed-sex
twins, and mixed-sex twins.  After the Cain-Abel thing, the older girl
formed a couple with the older boy, and the younger twins formed a
second couple. The names of the girls are given, but I can't remember
them, and I lost my books in a divorce so I can't look it up.

And having read the books a couple of times, I'm not sufficiently
motivated to buy another copy.

Genesis? Yeah, that's worth buying another copy of, but actually, I
prefer Phil Collins' solo stuff anyway.

deke

--
If I have seen farther than others, it is by stepping on the toes of
giants